After fully understanding the First Amendment in the "Civil Liberties" ToolBook, you can now take a deep dive into our rights as American citizens with the 4th through 8th Amendments in this "Rights of the Accused" ToolBook.
In the "Rights of the Accused" ToolBook, students learn about what their rights are if they are ever accused of a crime with lessons on:
- The 4th Amendment— probable cause, exclusionary rule.
- The 5th Amendment— the Miranda Rule, "taking the Fifth."
- The 6th Amendment— the gag rule, the Patriot Act. (The Patriot Act is on your state test.)
- The 7th Amendment— In a civil case, you have the right to a jury trial.
- The 8th Amendment— three strikes, torture, and the death penalty.
As a teacher, you will be surprised at the students' interest in this topic! It's one of the most engaging. And they will be even more enthusiastic about this topic when you introduce the following concepts through various interactive exercises and games:
- What the heck is "due process"?
- Habeas corpus is your friend.
- A lot of games, all entitled: "Is it constitutional?"
- Landmark court cases: Gideon v. Wainwright, Ex parte Milligan, Korematsu v. United States, and more.
- Debate: "It is better that ten guilty people escape than one innocent suffer."
|What is the Bill of Rights?|
|Rights of the Accused|
|#1 Lecture||The rights of the accused|
|#2 Group Analysis||Due process|
|#3 Group Analysis||Due process|
|The Fourth Amendment|
|#4 Lecture||Probable cause|
|#5 Group Analysis||Probable cause|
|#6 Group Analysis||Probable cause|
|#7 Group Analysis||Probable cause|
|#8 Lecture||Exclusionary rule|
|#9 Group Analysis||Exclusionary rule|
|#10 Group Analysis||Exclusionary rule|
|#11 Game||Two cases|
|#12 Game||Article I of the Constitution|
|#13 Brief readings||Megan’s Law|
|The Fifth Amendment|
|#14 Lecture||The 5th Amendment|
|#15 Lecture||The Miranda Rule|
|#16 Group Analysis||The Miranda Rule|
|#17 Brief readings||The Miranda Rule|
|#18 Group Analysis||The Miranda Rule|
|#19 Game||The 5th Amendment|
|The Sixth Amendment|
|#20 Lecture||The 6th Amendment|
|#21 Game||The 6th Amendment|
|#22 Group Analysis||The Gag Order|
|#23 Game||The 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments|
|#24 Debate||“It is better that ten guilty people escape than one innocent suffer.”|
|The Patriot Act|
|#25 Brief readings||The Patriot Act|
|#26 Test||The Patriot Act|
|#27 Political Cartoons||The Patriot Act|
|#28 Group Analysis||The Patriot Act|
|#29 First impressions||The Patriot Act|
|#30 Group Analysis||The Patriot Act|
|#31 Internet||research The Patriot Act|
|#32 Debate||The Patriot Act|
|Putting the accused in military prisons|
|#33 Document||Ex parte Milligan (1866)|
|#34 Document||Korematsu v. United States (1944)|
|#35 Debate||“Resolved, the main purpose of government is national security.”|
|The Seventh Amendment|
|The Eighth Amendment|
|#36 Lecture||The 8th Amendment|
|#37 Brief reading||Torture|
|#38 Brief readings||Three Strikes|
|#39 Game||The 8th Amendment|
|#40 Internet||research The death penalty|
|#41 Debate||The death penalty|
|#42 Game||The ABCs of the rights of the accused (recall terms)|
|#43 Game||The rights of the accused! (define terms)|
|#44 Game||Mars / Venus|
|#45 Game||Honk if you hate civics!|
|#46 Game||Stump the teacher!|
|#47 Game||The Last Man Standing . . .|
About Performance Education ToolBooks
Each ToolBook has 4 basic components:
- Lectures and Stories―provide the basic facts behind the subject being covered and help establish a framework for further learning
- Interactive Exercises―develop higher levels of skill through graphic organizers, maps, charts, timelines, important documents and links to other materials
- Games―Unique action Games, brain games and board Games are fun, exciting, encourage fast-paced learning, and provide practice in all 6 levels of Bloom
- The Tests―practice and preparation for the end-of-grade state tests, with hundreds of practice test questions.
THE BEST WAY TO BUY!
You can have 24/7/365 Access to every product and activity we publish. For a limited time only - 13 months for only $149!
Or purchase a single subject subscription for only $99.
You will never find a deal better than this one!